A small little guide to the street grid in the Greater Kansas City area.
In general the metro area is on a straight-forward grid system, but with many exceptions and variations. This makes it easy to find the general neighborhood, but sometimes confusing to find the exact location.
Most of the metro area follows the Kansas City, Missouri grid which is centered at Main Street and the Missouri River in Downtown KCMO. Main divides the east/west numbered streets and the river divides the north/south named streets. The length of city blocks varies in the different neighborhoods, but usually ten blocks is about one mile.
Jackson County, Missouri
- If no north/south direction is given, south is assumed - 3015 Broadway is 30 blocks south of the river.
- 1711 East 30th St. - 17 blocks east of Main St. and 30 blocks south of the river.
- some of the outer suburbs do not follow the metro grid and have their own numbering system (e.g. Lee's Summit, Liberty, Blue Springs).
- parts of Independence follow the metro grid, other parts near the Square follow a different grid (confused yet?).
Numbering of north/south named streets
Indicates distance east or west of Main St.
1900 West - State Line Road (Missouri/Kansas state line)
1200 W - Ward Parkway (south of 47th St.)
1000 W - Jarboe St.
800 W - Southwest Trafficway/Summit/Belleview/Madison
400 W - Broadway
300 W - Wornal Rd. (south of 47th St.)
0 East/West - Main Street
200 East - Grand Blvd.
500 E - Locust St.
700 E - Holmes (south of 47th St.)
1000 E - Harrison St.
1100 E - Troost Ave.
1400 E - The Paseo
1500 E - Flora Ave.
1800-2000 E - US Hwy. 71 (Bruce R. Watkins Drive)
3000 E - Agnes Ave.
4000 E - Myrtle Ave.
5000 E - Brighton Ave.
5400 E - Van Brunt Blvd.
5800 E - Hilcrest Rd.
6000 E - White Ave.
7000 E - Cambridge Ave.
8000 E - I-435 (until it turns east/west and runs parallel to 100th St.)
8200 E - James A. Reed Rd.
9000 E - Blue Ridge Cutoff (Truman Sports Complex)
10000 E - Pittman Rd. / Raytown Rd.
11200 E - Sterling Ave.
12400 E - Crysler Ave.
14000 E - Noland Rd.
16000/16500 E - Lee's Summit Rd.
17000 E - MO Hwy 291 (north of I-70)
18000 E - I-470 (until it turns west and runs parallel to Colbern/Bannister.)
18200 E - MO Hwy 291 (south of US Hwy 50)
20000 E - Little Blue Expressway / Selsa Rd.
25000 E - MO Hwy 7
East/west streets in Missouri with names instead of numbers
- 5th St. - Independence Ave. in KCMO and Independence
- 15th St. - Truman Rd. in KCMO and Independence
- 32nd St. - Linwood Blvd. (most areas of KCMO west of Van Brunt Blvd.)
- 35th St. - Armour Blvd in KCMO between Broadway and The Paseo
- 71st St. - Gregory Blvd. in KCMO
- 95th St. - Bannister Rd. in KCMO, Colbern Rd. in Lee's Summit
- 107th St. - Chipman Rd. in Lee's Summit
- 111th St. - Red Bridge Rd. in KCMO (College Blvd. in Johnson County, KS.)
- 119th St. - Minor Dr. in KCMO, Chipman Rd. in Lee's Summit
- 147th St. - MO Hwy 150 or Outer Belt Rd. in KCMO, Grandview, Lee's Summit
- 155th St. - County Line Rd. (Jackson/Cass county line)
- 170th/171st/172nd - MO Hwy 58 across northern Cass County
Clay and Platte Counties in Missouri (north side of KCMO and northern suburbs)
Generally follows the Jackson County grid, but the North direction is added. East/west streets are numbered (e.g. NE 50th St. or NW 50th St. are 50 blocks north of the Missouri River). North/south streets are named and generally correspond to streets in the south (e.g. Oak becomes North Oak). Kansas City North refers to the area of Kansas City, MO north of the Missouri River, while North Kansas City, MO is a separate town surrounded by Kansas City.
- 8400 N - Barry Road
- 9100 N - Tiffany Springs Rd.
(e.g. NW Tiffany Springs Rd. = NW 91st St. or NE Tiffany Springs Rd. = NE 91st)
- 12000 N - I-435
- 9200 NW - North Amity Rd
(e.g. 9200 NW 100th St. is at North Amity)
- 4400 NW - Green Hills Rd.
- 1800 NW - Platte/Clay county line
- 800 NW - US Hwy 169
- 800 NE - North Oak Trafficway
- 2500 NE - Prospect/North Antioch
- 4000 NE - Chouteu/MO 269
- 4900 NE - North Brighton
- Oak St. - going north from downtown, it is called Burlington when enter the city of North Kansas City. Further north it becomes North Oak Trafficway when you cross back into Kansas City.
- Johnson County, Kansas follows the Missouri grid. State Line Road is 1900 west, or 19 blocks west of Main Street in KCMO - so any address greater than 1900 west would be any Kansas. Johnson County includes Overland Park, Olathe, Leawood, Lenexa, etc.
- Karen Chinn has an excellent guide to numbering of the north/south streets in Johnson County.
- The big exception is Kansas City, KS and Wyandotte County. Their grid is reversed, with north/south streets numbered and east/west streets named. 75th Street in KCK would be 75 blocks west of State Line Road.
- Some east/west streets in KCK near State Line Road are avenues. So 39th Ave. on the KCK grid connects with 39th St. on the metro grid, but 39th Street is a north/south street 39 blocks west of State Line.